About Skagit Publishing
Skagit Publishing is a family-owned company, which publishes the daily Skagit Valley Herald, the weekly Anacortes American, Fidalgo This Week, The Argus and Courier-Times, and various specialty publications including the monthly Skagit Business Pulse.
Our story began on March 4, 1884, when the first issue of The Skagit News weekly paper was published by William C. Ewing.
The newspaper's name was changed to the Mount Vernon Herald in 1913, and it became a daily in 1922. It became the Skagit Valley Herald on Jan. 1, 1956.
Scripps League Newspapers Inc., purchased the newspaper in 1964, and Leighton Wood became publisher. Skagit Publishing, established by the Wood family, acquired the paper in 1986.
Wood's son Stedem Wood became publisher in 1994, and since then, the paper began publishing seven days a week.
In spring 2008, the daily Skagit Valley Herald converted to morning delivery after more than a century as an afternoon newspaper. In December 2008, the Skagit Valley Herald and most of its sister publications moved to a new facility on Anderson Road in Mount Vernon.
Skagit Publishing also has a controlling interest in Pioneer Newspapers, a Seattle-based company with daily and weekly publications in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Utah.